How To Tell If Your Siding Needs To Be Replaced
Siding is one of the most important components of your home since it serves as the first line of defense against the elements. Much like insulation, it protects your home from weather, dirt, insects, and moisture. Most homeowners don’t give the siding on their homes a second thought – until problems, such as rotting or warping start occurring. Then it becomes hard to ignore and can create a domino effect of problems for the rest of your home.
If you are unsure whether or not you need to replace your siding, here are some common signs to look for:
1. Warped siding. Warping and sagging after often a sign that moisture has seeped behind or underneath the siding. When this happens, it is only a matter of time before the moisture makes its way into your home.
2. High heating and cooling bills. There can be several likely culprits for high heating and cooling costs, one being faulty siding. A visual inspection of your home’s siding will help you determine whether or not heating and cooling could be escaping through it.
3. Peeling paint or sagging wallpaper inside. Sometimes the damage from faulty siding can appear inside your home! Peeling paint or wallpaper can be the result of moisture dwelling between the siding and framework of your home and should be inspected immediately.
4. Mold or mildew on the exterior of your home. A build-up of moisture at or near the seams of your home’s siding can result in the slow growth of mold and mildew on the outside of the siding.
5. Rot. This is often the surest sign that immediate replacement is needed. Press underneath your siding with a sharp object, like a screwdriver, to check the firmness of the layer beneath. If it appears to be soft or rotting, replacement siding is a must!
6. Fading. While some may think of this as just a cosmetic issue, it could also be an indication that your siding is nearing the end of its functioning life. Most siding is formulated to retain its color for its entire lifespan. If the siding on your home is so old that it has started to fade, its functionality may be failing as well.
If you are concerned about the state of your siding, call us today for a FREE, NO OBLIGATION ESTIMATE. Our specialists will meet with you to discuss vinyl replacement options, and show you some great possibilities.
Find more information here.